Monday, December 15, 2008

Hindi ako naloko si Santa... (at ni yaya)

In response to Knight's blog question of the week: "Sino ang naloko si Santa Clause"

Did I ever believe in Santa? I have 4 older brothers, go figure! Those bastards always had a certain smirk on their faces every time my yaya tells me I should be nice so that I’d get a present from some jolly old fat guy.

A flying fat dude with gifts? Really yaya, really?

Side note: My yaya really did say that Santa flies… and I quote,
“oo, nakita ko sya kagabi, lumilipad, (sabay turo sa may garahe) tapos iniwan yang malaking istaf toy”
(now that I think about it, di kaya drug adik pala itong si yaya?)

Anyway, going back...

Basically, living in a household where I was the center of jokes and tricks, I kind of figured this whole “Santa business” was just some sort of trickery. (Now you know why I have trust issues… hehehe…)

I don’t remember writing any letters, but I do remember hanging my lacey white school socks near my window one Christmas eve. Not because I believed I’d get gifts from some mysterious entity, but because my brothers tipped me off that my dad will be putting new and crispy bills that year.

The following morning, though, instead of money, I got a letter saying:
“Over aged ka na. Wala ng rega-regalo.
Love, Santa”

which was obviously written by my dad.

Yeah, my very own parents used Santa’s name in vain just to pull my leg. Now you know where I got my sick humor.

No comments: