Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What she knows, what I planned, and what happened...

Last week, on the eve of my birthday, I invited Red to go out on a date. This was only our 2nd "official romantic date", since all the other times we hung-out, technically, weren't considered as "dates".


I wanted it to be very special, so I planned that day very carefully.

What she knows:
1. I'll accompany her to buy stuff at Bugis street.
2. We'll have dinner at Taste Restaurant in Ibis Hotel since it's also in Bugis.
3. We'll hang-out at our place 'til 12mn so she'll be the first one to greet me on my birthday.

But I have different things in mind....

What I plan on doing:
1. Book a room in Ibis Hotel.
2. Tell her I'm coming from the office, but instead I'll go to check-in to the hotel room to prepare it for our date.
3. Buy roses, candles, drinks, and grapes (her favorite).
4. Go back to the hotel room to put the rose petals on the bed and set-up the candles in the room.
5. Accompany her to buy stuff at Bugis street "after office".
6. Have dinner together at Taste Restaurant in Ibis Hotel.
7. After dinner, I'll go to the toilet of the restaurant to "set-up" my story for later.
8. Go out of the restaurant and proceed to buy things we'll need for the night.
9. Pretend that I lost the access card to the condo and tell her we should go back to the restaurant.
10. Go back to the restaurant and pretend to look for the access card in the toilet.
11. Talk to the front desk and pretend that they asked me to go to the 13th floor in the "admin office"
12. Leave my wallet with Red in the lobby while I go up to the "admin office".
13. Go to the 13th floor, to the room I booked, and light up the candles, play the playlist I created just for this day in my laptop, close the room lights.
14. Rush back to the lobby and tell her that I need my ID which is in the wallet I gave her (#12) in order to claim the access card I lost.
15. Both of us will take the lift to the 13th floor and then I'll lead her to the "admin office" (aka the room I booked)
16. Once she realizes the surprise, I'll hug her and give an eloquent "speech" on how much I love her.

But this is real life, and not all things will go as planned...

What really happened...
1. Yellow was very sad and asked if me and Red could meet her for dinner. I hesitated a bit, but it seemed that Yellow needed us at that time. So we planned to have the dinner, still at Taste, but this time with Yellow. So much for romantic dinner! -- FAIL!
2. I went to the hotel to book the room.
3. I went to Plaza Singapura to buy a ginormous Tweety stuffed toy, flowers, candles, drinks, and grapes. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the candles I wanted, so I just settled for the tealight candles. The supermarket also didn't have a lighter! -- FAIL!
4. I rushed to the flower shop to buy roses, the guy in front of me was taking forever to talk to the sales lady. I picked up 2 red roses and 1 white. In my haste, I didn't realize that I picked-up plastic flowers!!! -- FAIL!
5. On my way back to the hotel, I received an urgent call from one of our platforms in Australia. I had to rush back to the room to check on the issue! -- FAIL!
6. The hotel internet was acting up, but thankfully I had my mobile internet dongle with me. To make matters worst, there was issue in the VPN access in the platform. Instead of doing the workaround myself, I had to instruct the people onsite, which took forever!!! -- FAIL!
7. It was already getting late, halfway through my issue, I called Red to tell her that I won't be able to make it on time. Red was not very happy about it. -- FAIL!
8. While waiting for the onsite people to confirm the issue as solved, I proceed to get the petals from the roses so that I can scatter the petals in the bed. This is when I discovered that the roses were fake! -- FAIL!
9. I wash the grapes I bought from the supermarket, and realized that they were "seedful!" -- FAIL!
10. I went out of the hotel to find real roses. It was already almost 8.30pm, and there was no flower shop nearby. So I decided to just use the fake rose petals... madilim naman sa room, hopefully, di halata... :P -- FAIL!
11. The issue was almost near being solved, I call Red, and she just doesn't want to go out anymore. Nawala daw sya sa mood. -- FAIL!
12. I call Yellow to tell her that the dinner is cancelled. She didn't sound like she's sad, in fact she sounded pretty bubbly and happy. At this point, I was starting to lose it. -- FAIL!
12. I got the confirmation that the issue is solved. I call Red to tell her I'm already on my way to their place. Ayaw na daw talaga nya. At that point, I just broke-down. -- FAIL!
13. Naawa ata si Red dahil naiiyak na ako, she said that we can have dinner as originally planned. This is where things finally went right for me.
14. I took a cab to Tampines with the huge Tweety stuffed toy with me.
15. Once I reach their place, I apologized for being late, and she apologized for being pissed about it.
16. We got dinner at Taste Restaurant in Ibis Hotel as originally planned, just the two of us.
17. I went to the toilet of the restaurant to "set-up" my "lost access card" story.
18. We got out of the restaurant and proceeded to buy things we'll need for the night.
19. I pretended that I lost the access card to the condo and told her we should go back to the restaurant, because I probably dropped it there.
20. We went back to the restaurant and pretended to look for the access card.
21. I went to the front desk and pretended that they asked me to go to the 13th floor in the "admin office"
22. I left my wallet with Red in the lobby while I went up to the "admin office".
23. I went to the 13th floor, to the room I booked, and lighted up the candles, played the playlist I created just for this day in my laptop, and closed the room lights.
24. I rushed back to the lobby and told her that I needed my ID which is in the wallet I gave her (#22) in order to claim the access card I lost.
25. We took the lift to the 13th floor and then I lead her to the "admin office" (aka the room I booked)
26. The reaction from her face was so priceless that the "speech" I prepared vanished from memory... hanep talaga memory gap ko!

The day was so stressful and so tiring, but the moment I saw the look on her face, it was all worth it! It felt so great that even though a lot of things went wrong and didn't go as planned, in the end, it was still so special because I spent it with her.

No comments: