Sunday, October 11, 2009

500 days of summer...

... copied my life. Well, not really. But watching the movie reminded me so much of my life.


I think the movie's storyline is so universal, almost everyone in the theater was laughing and crying along with me. (Ok, maybe not the crying part, but you get the point)

Here's the trailer:


WARNING! If you have not watched the movie and do not wish to read spoilers, do not read beyond this point! I repeat, DO NOT READ beyond this point.

Ok, You have been warned.

The movie summary in a few sentences:
- It's the story of Tom, meeting and consequently falling in love with Summer.
- Tom and Summer's fun memories as a couple.
- Summer leaving Tom because she's not happy anymore.
- Tom falling into the all-too-usual break-up despair.
- Summer marrying another dude. (yes, ouch!)
- Tom picking-up the pieces and starting over.

Yes, it is not a Pinoy movie where the leads still end up with each other (I'm looking at you John Lloyd and Bea, and the falls hopes and dreams you stand for, with utter disdain!) --> am I bitter or what?! hehehe...

One scene that just did it for me was Tom's 488th day while sitting in a bench with Summer. He asks Summer why she ended up marrying someone else when she couldn't even commit to him:

Summer: “One day I woke up and I just knew.”
Tom: “Knew what?”
Summer: What I was never sure of when I was with you

OUCH! That was quick and brutal. But at least it was honest. It makes you want to scream to the top of your lungs, but you know it's pointless. You can't make people love you.

And probably the best advice from the movie was from Tom's much younger sister:
Rachel: Tom, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Next time you look back, I think you should look again.
[Enter a montage of video clips of Tom and Summer's happy AND not-so-happy moments together]

I guess, break-ups are difficult because we have a tendency of being caught-up in the "what could have been"'s and the "what about our future together"'s.

It's not just the loss of the relationship we're crying about. We're also mourning the death of the dreams we have so elaborately planned in our heads. (and if you're a dreamer like me, we're talking about a mass burial!) It's late that we realize that maybe this person we are so miserably crying over isn't just the person for us.

But I guess the biggest realization I got from this movie, is that I may not be really ok now, but I am most certain that I WILL BE. I WILL BE OK!

It is, after all, only my 381st day... :) hahahaha.... magbilang daw ba?! hehehe...

No comments: