Friday, July 20, 2007

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I got a copy yesterday and planned to start reading just the first few chapters since it was pretty late (around 9pm), but somehow I ended up finishing the book in one sitting… puyat galore… I seriously could not get myself to put it down.

The book has the same advice I’ve heard a few times, pay yourself first, buy assets, not liabilities, make money work for you, etc…etc… but it’s only after reading the book that those concepts actually sunk in my thick skull. Ika nga ng merit rating sheet namin dati, “Naa sya point!” hehehe…

Suddenly the DSLR and electric guitar I was drooling over does not look so good in my eyes right now. I’m also having second thoughts on that Master’s Degree I was hoping to get… talk about overnight paradigm shift… I really need to think hard smart about this.

Reading the book made me think about my own dad. I was raised by a father like “rich dad”. He was able to own a nice house in the suburbs, sent all 5 children to college, and at the peak of his business, had 4 branches and was supplying 70% of the trucking companies in Metro Manila with recapped tires which was produced by his own recapping plant. All of this he did without a college degree, and without a truck load of money as capital. “Abilidad ang tawag dyan”, he used to say. But the irony of it all is that my “rich dad” gave me “poor dad” advices like “get good grades, finish school, and get a secured job”. Perhaps he didn’t want us to go through the hardships he went through, or maybe its just plain old Filipino culture.

And now I’m off to find ways to make money, and then making the money work for me… but first, how the hell do I do that??? Hehehe… think, think, think….

2 comments:

Knight said...

wow. look at that. i got my own label on this blog. hehehe. nice.

anyway, good luck sa search mo. A Master's Degree is not bad, I think. If you can make it profitable. Education is meant to be a tool.

I've got some ideas myself. Just keep your eyes open and your ubiquitous capture tool nearby so you don't miss on small ideas that are possibly seeds of wealth.

neni said...

nyaaahahaha...yeah, kelangan mo na ng sariling label. marami naman kaming napupulot syo, di lang halata... hehehe...