Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thailand in a Weekend part 1

As I've mentioned previously, my dear company has decided to send me alone as sacrificial lamb to Thailand.

Being alone in a foreign land is only good when you're there for a short period of time. But if you're going to stay for more than a few days, it's gonna drive you insane! (not that there's much sanity left in me to drive-out!)

Thank goodness, on my third week, the girlfriend decided to visit me over the weekend. Wooohooo!!! :-D

Given the limited time we had, we only went to the places which were near the serviced apartment.

DAY 1

Day 1 started with a hearty breakfast courtesy of the girlfriend. Toasted bread, ham, eggs, bacon, and sausage. I finally had a chance to drink the coffee that the girlfriend promised to make me when we first met. And the verdict: Yup, it's as good as she said it was, probably even better! If only all mornings started this way, I wouldn't mind waking up early! (yes, I will stop the cheeziness here...)

After breakfast, we cleaned-up and prepared the stuff we need to bring. And as usual, the girlfriend took some shots before leaving... Adik sa pictures...

It's poses like this that make me doubt the year of birth they put on my birth certificate


We walked to the Thailand Cultural Center MRT station and took the MRT to Sukhumvit Station. From there, we then took a Skytrain to MBK shopping mall. From MBK, for experience's sake, we rode a Tuktuk to the Grand Palace. A tutuk is Thailand's version of our tricycle.

The Tuktuk we took (say 10x, just for kicks) to the Grand Palace


The ride reminded me of the Philippines, the traffic, the heat, the pollution... Pinas na pinas ang dating!

After a couple of minutes, we were already in the Grand Palace compound.

The monks outside the compound


One of the scary statues that guard the temple entrance


The wall paintings in the compound near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha


The girlfriend and me... ay mali...


...ito pla...


The "macho" girlfriend and the Grand Palace


More pictures of the Grand Palace grounds in a separate blog post. :)

Anyway, after going around and taking pictures, we decided to go back to MBK Shopping mall to have lunch and to buy some pasalubong.

We had our lunch at MK Restaurant located at the 2nd floor of MBK Shopping mall. MK Restaurant specializes in hot-pot dishes, which apparently is one of the girlfriend's favorites! Ang galing ko talaga manghula! :)

Ang pagbabalik ng dakilang food model...


After lunch, we walked around and bought a couple of stuff for our friends back home. After a good walk around the mall, we decided to have some coffee at Starbucks and of course, we bought one of those huge-ass city mugs. After coffee, we decided to go back home to prepare for dinner.

The girlfriend promised to cook her "famous" carbonara, and some shrimp (my favorite!!!) So the moment we got back to the serviced apartment, we started to prepare the things we needed. We cooked dinner (and by that, I mean I cut some of the stuff and made some mess, and she did everything else!).

A few minutes later, dinner was ready!

Hmmmnn.... Sarap ng dinner! :)


Thus ends Day 1

No comments: