Monday, March 24, 2008

reality-check

I just watched "Music and Lyrics" tonight at HBO. And boy, was it a chick-flick or what?!

Not that I don't enjoy chick-flicks in general. It's good to have a few light-hearted movies once in a while. Thing is, those kind of films suffer from a very formulaic plot that is just lacking in common sense and logic. I mean, at one point you're like teary-eyed, smiling, and saying "awwww.... ", then a few seconds later, your evil mind shouts at you: "Who are you kidding? That never happens in real life!... or maybe it does, but then someone dies in the end..." (Yes, people, Debbie Downer lives inside my head!)

Drew Barrymore was as charming as always playing the vulnerable, and slightly "coo-koo" girl. Hugh Grant looked awful dancing, which I guess was the entire point why they made him dance in the first place. Oh, and the songs were outrageously cheezy! I guess it would appeal to me, if say, I was in high school and still drooling over a crush, while writing a poem under a tree shade. (soooo highschool!)

So basically, it's a so-so film. However, I did have a few laughs with most of Hugh Grant's lines, which again brings me back to reality: "nobody is THAT spontaneously witty!"

No comments: