Monday, January 19, 2009

The fat and 'sossy' Thai dogs of the CBD

One thing I've noticed so far about Thailand are the stray dogs. Since last week, I've seen more than 10 stray dogs. Let me remind you that I'm staying in the Central Business District. It's strange to be seeing wandering animals in a place of business. So far, I haven't encountered any stray dogs in Makati. Nor have I encountered any of them in Singapore (even in residential areas)

Another strange thing was that majority of the stray dogs I've seen so far are FAT!

It was only after a one or two days ago that I realized that they weren't stray dogs after all, but are owned by the people selling streetfoods. (imagine all the left-overs, eat-all-you-can-streetfoods?! no wonder they're fat!)

Another thing I've noticed is that they don't bark. I guess they have already gotten so used to many people that they find it somewhat barbaric and unsophisticated to bark.

Funny thing, the other day, while I was walking outside to buy dinner, a dog passed by me. Hanging from it's mouth was a clear platic bag with a piece of fried chicken inside, as if it had just purchased it from one of the roadside stalls.

Even though I was hungry and very much in a hurry to buy food, I had to pause for a moment and looked back at the dog. I thought to myself - "What the hell just happened?!" and then I contemplated whether I can try to snatch the food from the dog... (hey, I was hungry!) I fought the urge to bully the dog, only because I think it can take me down any given day.

Up until now I am still wondering about that day. (I know, way too much time on my hands...) Was it delivering the food to someone else? Did it buy it for itself and decided to eat it at home because it's so "yuck, kadiri naman, eating in the streets. eww..." They are, after all, in the CBD. :)

Yes, it's a slow workday today... waaaaay too much time on hands for posting non-sense... :))

No comments: