Wednesday, September 09, 2009

1 Wedding and 30+ people asking the same annoying question...

My brother tied the knot today with his girlfriend of more than 7 years. (tagal no?)

The wedding was awesome. The venue was grand, but it still managed to be intimate. The food tasted great! The video coverage and photos was just perfect.

I'm so happy for my brother and his new wife. It's a good start to a life-long commitment.

Speaking of weddings, if you know me well enough, you'd think I'd complain about wearing a dress or high-heeled shoes. Yes, I didn't like having to wear them, but that was the least of my concerns.

What I particularly do not like about weddings (especially weddings wherein I have relatives in the crowd), is the never-ending question: "Oh, ikaw? kelan ka naman kakasal?" Once or twice in one day is fine. But having 30+ people ask the same thing over and over again is just annoying.

I have to say polite and creative answers each time, just so I don't lose my control and strangle them one by one. Although there were so many times that I just want to answer back "Putang ina mo rin!" or "eh, ikaw, kelan ka gaganda?"

Now the pressure is definitely on, since I'm "next in line" and I'm 26 years old. Apparently, 23-25 is the "ideal" age, according to them. So I'm delayed by 1 year. Fuck.

What's the deal with marrying early anyway? Or putting such a "tight" deadline on it?(disclaimer: I'm not judging people who want to do it early, it's a matter of personal choice.)

I mean, back in the old days, it was needed. People needed to start procreating early since the world needed more people to plow the fields, raise livestock, or fight needless wars, and the mortality rate is so high, people died early for the stupidest of reasons. Plus, what else is there left to do? No TV, no internet, no lights (and while we're at it, no indoor plumbing!).

But now, in a world wherein you can juggle earning a master's degree, threading office politics in the workplace, shuffling dates with friends and lovers, and busting a sweat in the gym, who has time to get married?

I'm not saying I don't want to get married (assuming gay marriage becomes legal). It's in the "Someday-Maybe" box. which is sitting between the "Application Form Dropbox for A New Girlfriend" (which is sadly empty at this time), and the "Future Hopes and Dreams for Myself" box (which is full to the brim)

In short, I have no time for it now, and I don't have anyone to marry, and even if I have someone, it's not even legally possible to marry her at this point. But this answer is just way too long and way too boring... maybe next time, I'll just stick to "putang ina mo rin!" (well, it's much kinder than strangling people. :P)

2 comments:

WS said...

when my sister/cousin got married, my aunties were telling me that i need to at LEAST be married by 28 (the age my cousin got married), as when I turn the big 3-0 nobody would want me anymore.

all i can say to here was a "hehe" and my mind was going PUTANGINA MO RIN.

now the world is different. girls can handle themselves with jobs and can be more successful than guys, so why bother getting hitched. LOL.

k a r e n said...

I LOVE this post!

Trust me, you can never please everyone. I'm 26 now but when I got married in April, I was still 25 and I have to say that half the people I knew felt I was still too young while the other half felt it was the right time.

AND, even if you did get married when people think you should or shouldn't, that won't make the comments and awkward questions go away bec the next thing they'll ask you is when you'll have a baby.. ugh.. but that's when you get to say to the people who thought you were too young to marry, "eh kala ko ba sabi mo bata pako?"