Monday, July 04, 2005

Beauty is a curse to the world….

I happen to watch nip/tuck few days back. It was about a serial rapist dubbed as the “The Carver”. He was called such because he cuts the face of his victims and tells them, “Beauty is a curse to the world”. Pretty gory huh? But when one actually thinks about it, the line actually has some truth to it.

Edgar J. Steele once said “physical beauty is a curse, because beautiful people glide through life, unchallenged, never needing to develop personality or ethical principles beyond the most mundane”.

I don’t mean to generalize but, at some extent, I couldn’t help but agree with Steele.

But then again, beauty is a double-edged sword. In one hand, some people are nice to you. On the other hand, you have to be a little bit more careful when going out (dami ng maniac sa tabi-tabi).

Somehow I’m thankful I’m not beautiful. It’s just less complicated. I blend well with the “usual” crowd. Hindi ako “kapansin-pansin”. I don’t have to worry too much about going home late (worse case scenario is just a hold-up.. nothing more!). And somehow, I think I know people better. May iba kseng tao na plastic… mabait lang pag may magandang babae. I like to call them the “selective gentlemen”. And thank God I know who they are! I see the crap they really are. I just can’t help but feel sorry for those beautiful people they try to impress…. They have no idea!

So, is beauty really a curse to the world??? For me, I think beauty is not the one at fault here… It is not a curse. I actually think it’s a gift from God. I think the real problem is how we perceive beauty, how we react to it, how we act on it….

No comments: